Tuesday, January 27, 2009

"English" Food

One of the things I've learned about myself on this trip is how relatively little food I actually need to get through the day. Being on a meal plan at school I tend to eat full meals for lunch and dinner, plus cereal for breakfast. Given the setup we have here, I've been doing fine by eating a large, filling (and importantly, continental) breakfast at around 8 every morning--we usually set off for our day's trip at 9 or 10--and that's enough to keep me going until 3 or 4 in the afternoon without needing even to snack. A sandwich or a restaurant order will pick me up, and after that I can do fine on some bread and jelly when I need it. Given the amount of walking I've been doing, the limited, regular diet, and a reasonably consistent sleep routine, I wouldn't be surprised if I lost some weight on this trip; I hope I can maintain such discipline when I get back to my normal routine.

To this end, I've found Subway is a fantastic resource for a mid-day meal. The one in Bayswater is offering for a limited time only a six-inch turkey ham for one-and-a-half pounds. Because it's an immigrant neighborhood, though, all of its meats are HILAL, which is basically Islamic kosher. So that turkey ham sandwich is more specifically a turkey turkey-ham. Food is food, though, and the market has spoken.

No comments:

Post a Comment