Monday, January 26, 2009

Conversion at St. Paul

Okay, so the title is a bit melodramatic. I wasn't converted by any stretch of the imagination. But visiting St. Paul's cathedral and sitting in on the service did soften my stance against religion, if ever so slightly, at least as far as what it's done for the arts and aesthetics throughout history. The structure is absolutely beautiful.



(unfortunately I still need to flip my other pictures over, and I don't have the time right now)

And that's just the outside. The interior is covered with sculpture, relief work, and paintings that, as professor Garth noted, try to imitate Michelangelo as best they can. Even if it's not totally successful (really, what could?), it is still something mighty spectacular. If religion were just about this I would have no qualms with it whatsoever.

No comments:

Post a Comment