Monday, February 1, 2010

Addendum: Original Sin of Omission, and My Picks

On the Curveball list, I neglected to mention Lars von Trier's Antichrist. It's the longest shot possible, since the Academy resolutely wants to avoid the psycho-sexual controversy baggage this film carries with it, but it's not entirely beyond imagination.

As for what I think should be recognized: I don't get to see terribly many movies in the theater to begin with, and even on DVD I'm hopelessly behind. I therefore don't have much to recommend, in the same way I don't have much to not recommend But I did get to see more movies than usual this year (largely because I no longer have a courseload breathing down my neck, a situation that will hopefully remain true for only eight more months), and since I go based on reputation (life is short), most of these were already on the list. But anyway:

Coraline
Up
Inglourious Basterds
A Serious Man

are all most excellent, though Coraline's third act is awfully video-gamey. I'm gunning for Inglourious Basterds, for the sheer range of emotions it elicited and often subverted (Brad Pitt's character, for instance, is funny the first go-around, but is much more obviously monstrous when you're not caught up in the novelty of his goofiness); its audacity; and the love of film it engenders and represents.

Too bad it's almost certain to lose to Avatar.

No comments:

Post a Comment