Monday, July 5, 2010

Wild Things

It's been over a month since I've written anything, mostly on account of being incredibly busy. Seven Devils happened, work picked up so that I'm now actually working full-time, and I've started rehearsals for David Mamet's Oleanna. My internet time has receded accordingly. I'll do what I can is all I can promise, and even that's uncertain.

I thought I would just say for my return post that I found Spike Jonze's Where the Wild Things Are to be....distancing? Cold? Off-putting? I don't know what it is--and this is why I'm not a film reviewer--but something doesn't feel right throughout the proceedings. Maybe it's the way the documentary-style shakeycam clashes with the fantastical nature of the story. Maybe it's the way the fantastic wild things likewise behave like grown up children. Maybe it's the score (which I would like to blame more on Karen O than Carter Burwell) that's constantly intruding on the action rather than complementing it. I don't know.

I read somewhere else that WTWTA is not a kids movie, it's a movie about being a kid, for grown-ups, and that sounds about right.

No comments:

Post a Comment