Friday, January 29, 2010

The Horror....The HORROR!

The first video store in town is shutting its doors, and today they're selling off their stock. Unfortunately they didn't include their DVDs, just VHS and a lot of decorations. I'm a purist with my movie-watching, in that I insist whenever possible on watching in widescreen. Here's a nice primer on why I do so:



Given that all(?) VHS movies are full-screen, I had little interest in picking up my favorites. But that doesn't mean I had no interest in buying some movies! Lord no! For I am plotting out a slasher script, and need to school myself in the genre. And since most of those films are trash, I don't care about watching them in full-screen. Thus I end up buying the likes of:

- the Scream films
- two Texas Chainsaw Massacre sequels
- the original Friday the 13th
- Halloween H20 and The Curse of Michael Myers

plus Maximum Overdrive and Plan 9 From Outer Space for bad measure, and Orson Welles' Macbeth for something of redeemable value to society. I also got a book on 60 years of Hollywood, plus some postcards, and a couple neat signs.

It's sad to see Movie Source go the way of the dinosaur, but it's hard to see how it could have survived the onslaught of Netflix and its own aging DVD stock.

No comments:

Post a Comment