Sunday, April 12, 2009

Stratford and Me

Since I have nothing better to do at 3 in the morning, I thought I would poke around the interwebs and find out if other people hate Stratford-upon-Avon as much as I do.

Do they? Well!

Germaine Greer's title, "Stratford-upon-Avon is such a dump," pretty much says it all. She's seen and knows much more of it than I cared to while I was trying to get out of there. "It would be a bitter irony if the greatness of Stratford's greatest son should be the direct cause of this little town's ultimate undoing," she concludes. Sadly, there are no ifs about it. The city milks William Shakespeare's birth, an accident of history, to the point of teat bleed.

Even more interesting is this discussion amongst several Stratfordians about the article, and how terribly wrong the town has gone in the past several years. Reading about the destruction of old, beautiful land and the insidious influence of a powerful developer (the Royal Shakespeare Company, of all things!) brought to my mind a lot of what has happened in McCall and Valley County the past several years. This is a side of Stratford's story I had barely considered. Knowing it now, I think I hate the place, if not its residents, even more than before.

No comments:

Post a Comment